Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My First Chaotic Weekend

Ok, so I haven't been updating my blog a lot because this whole thing is exploding! It seems like for every 1 cake I make, I get two other orders from it. Let's just say, I'll stay busy for awhile.


I started this past weekend off with a rush order to make a poker cake for a guy who was leaving their group. They wanted it Friday so that they can all get together and wish him a great farewell... This is what I came up with

"The Odds Are Now In Your Favor"

This is a 12" round cake covered in colored buttercream. I made the strips and middle circle out of fondant. The cards are made out of fondant with buttercream writing. I decided to make a last minute run to JoAnn Fabrics to get some felt for the cake board to give it a nice finished touch. I heard great reviews from this cake, I suppose ever the server at the restaurant was interested.




Baby Boy Carriage Cake

Looking at this cake, I will always remember the drama that went down with this cake. I learned so much from this one. The top layer is a 8" round white cake with raspberry filling and covered with fondant. The bottom tier is a 12" round german chocolate with coconut-pecan filling covered with fondant. For the decorations, I used fondant for pretty much everything except the ribbon work around each tier, which was buttercream. Ok so with the drama, it all started with the baby carriage, it didn't harden over night like I expected and was just flopping over and wouldn't hold up. Not Good!! I panicked and threw it in the oven in hopes that it would dry out and harden up. Well, when I took it out it was really soft and puffed up. This was all within 3 hours of delivery... yikes! I ran to the store and bought some gum paste, a really fast drying material, to make a new carriage out of. Now I was down to 2 1/2 hours. AHH! So I get home and had a sigh of relief because the old carriage had cooled and harden and it would just fine and I didn't have to make a new one. After that I was on my way packing it up and getting ready for delivery when all of the sudden, it slid out of my hands, I caught it, but it was enough to jolt it and knock the top tier right off... I covered my face and opened the box to see what a mess it made. AHH! I had one hour to get it delivered so I worked my magic and was able to get it to look decent. All was fine.... Oh man... it was bad...

I learned that delivery is no piece of cake.......





Hannah Montana Birthday Cake
After the Baby Cake drama, I didn't even want to look at another cake, but I had to go on and get my confidance back. I had to work on a Hannah Montana Cake to be delivered Sunday and this is the finished product. It came out strong which helped my have faith again in my work. They wanted a simple white sheet cake, one layer, and covered in buttercream. I cut out circles with fondant and placed them all over the cake. The Hannah Montana logo and figure were printed on cardstock and cake wires were used to hold them up.
After this chaotic weekend I was looking foward to only having one cake to do this weekend... oh but I was wrong... I have FOUR!!! I know I can do it though.. I have confidance in myself to get it all done. I have a cake on Friday, that isn't anything special, they just want a plain cake with nothing on it. I have two cakes to deliver on Saturday for twin girls turning 3! Excited to do these cakes! And I am finishing the weekend off with a Steelers cake on Sunday.....
I hope I have a break next weekend with only one cake..... *crosses fingers*

No comments:

Post a Comment